Chemistry in Madden Ultimate Team can seem like a complex subject for new players and even some of the more experienced veterans of the mode still have questions. For today, we will focus on Team Chemistry and cover all the basics to help you better understand how it works and what it can do for your team.
Theme teams are built around a specific NFL team or two, and include the benefit of team chemistry boosts to your players’ ratings. Building around a particular team may not allow you to get all of the best players in the game, but you will receive small statistical boosts to your players that non-theme teams will not get. While theme teams are certainly not necessary, the boosts they receive can be significant, particularly the increase in Speed.
*Special thanks to z_rash for providing a pic of his team used as the title image for this article!
Where do I find Team Chemistry on my player item?
You can locate your player’s Team Chemistry slot by going to your item binder, selecting the item, navigating to the “Upgrades” tab, and it will be the first slot under “Chemistries & Positions”. If your Team Chemistry slot is locked, you may need to upgrade the first tier of your item to unlock it. See the image below:
Can players switch Team Chemistry?
Some items in MUT can switch their Team Chemistry and others can not. If your item is not on the following list, then it most likely cannot change the Team Chemistry it comes with:
Items that can change Team Chemistry
- Power Up Items (Team Chemistry available for any team the player has played for in a Regular Season/Playoff game)
- Veterans Program Items (Team Chemistry available for any team the player has played for in a Regular Season/Playoff game)
- Campus Heroes Program Items (Team Chemistry available for any team the player has played for in a Regular Season/Playoff game)
- Team Captains (Team Chemistry available for all 32 teams)
- MUT Master Sam Mills (Team Chemistry available for all 32 teams)
- Level Master Andre Johnson (Team Chemistry available for all 32 teams)
- Team Diamonds Master Barry Sanders (Team Chemistry available for all 32 teams)
- Free Agency Masters Dak Prescott and JJ Watt (Team Chemistry available for all 32 teams)
What are the Team Chemistry boosts and which players get them?
There are different tiers for Team Chemistry boosts based on how many total components you have in your lineup. Team Chemistry boosts only apply to players with the SAME Team Chemistry. It is possible to use multiple Team Chemistries, but if you are using a Raiders/49ers team, then your Raiders boosts will only apply to players with active Raiders chemistry and 49ers boosts will only apply to your active 49ers chemistry players.
The following Team Chemistry Tier boosts are cumulative, meaning if you reach Tier 5 then you get all boosts for Tiers 1-5:
- Tier 1: +1 Strength, +1 Impact Block (*Requires 5 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 2: +1 Jumping, +1 Play Recognition (*Requires 10 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 3: +1 Agility, +1 Change of Direction (*Requires 15 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 4: +1 Acceleration, +1 Carrying (*Requires 20 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 5: +1 Speed, +1 Tackle (*Requires 25 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 6: +1 Strength, +1 Stamina (*Requires 30 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 7: +1 Throw Power, +1 Jumping (*Requires 35 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 8: +1 Agility, +1 Change of Direction (*Requires 40 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 9: +1 Acceleration, +1 Catching (*Requires 45 Team Chemistry Components)
- Tier 10: +1 Speed, +1 Awareness (*Requires 50 Team Chemistry Components)
Which items are considered Team Chemistry Components?
- Offensive starters and backups
- Defensive starters and backups
- Kicker and Punter
- Home Uniform
- Away Uniform
*Bronze starter Coach, Uniforms, and Stadium do not count. In order for players to count towards your Team Chemistry Components, they can not be out of position.
**Team Masters (3x) and Team Diamonds (3x) can get extra credit towards Components for the team the item comes with.
***Team Captains can get up to 7x Team Chemistry Components at the time this article was published.
****Specialists receive their appropriate boosts but do not count towards Component Total.
Where do I find my Team Chemistry total?
Go to the “Adjust Lineup” panel and use your joystick to open the “Lineup Tools” menu on the right side of the screen. With this panel open, you will find your active Team Chemistry totals under “Chemistry” (see image below). If you click the team, it will show you all active boosts that apply to players with the same Team Chemistry.
Hopefully, this brief overview helps you better understand what Team Chemistry is and how it works in Madden Ultimate Team. If you still have questions or simply enjoy talking MUT, join our community on Discord!